Table of Contents
Foreword — Too Interconnected to Be Unravelled, by Keith Ellis
Preface — This Book Comes into Being
Introduction — Not One Iota, by Ricardo Alarcón de Quesada
- Historical/Political Context: From the Thirteen Colonies to the Early Obama Era
- The Origins and Development of U.S. Democracy Promotion
- U.S. Cuba Policy: 1783–1820s
- Imperialism and Democracy in Cuba
- Two Visions of Democracy: The U.S. vs. Fidel Castro
- Brazil: Democracy, Libya, Selective History and the African-American President
- Obama in Chile: Pinochet and Cuba
- Debate in Cuba Following Re-establishment of Diplomatic Relations, 2014–16
- Where Are Cuba–U.S. Relations Heading?
- Democracy and the Restoration of Cuba–U.S. Diplomatic Relations: Embassies in Havana and Washington on July 20, 2015
- Cuba–U.S. Relations and Freedom of the Press
- Cuba–U.S. Relations and the Perspicacity of Fidel Castro’s Thinking
- What Obama Really Said about Cuba, Foreign Affairs and the U.S.
- The White House National Security Agenda for Obama’s Visit to Cuba
- Why Doesn’t Obama Use His Executive Power to Close Guantánamo Prison?
- Obama’s Visit to Cuba and Human Rights
- Obama in Cuba: Will the Visit Advance the U.S. Cultural War Against Cubans?
- Obama in Cuba: How “Political Prisoners” Made the Media Headlines
- Thoughts on Cuban Resistance to the U.S. Ideological/Political War
- Interviews with Five of Cuba’s Leading Experts on Cuba–U.S. Relations
- Jesús Arboleya Cervera
- Esteban Morales Domínguez
- Elier Ramírez Cañedo
- Iroel Sánchez Espinosa
- Luis Toledo Sande
- Challenges for Cuba in 2017 and Beyond
- Trump and Cuba
- Does Pluralism Exist in Cuba?
- From Tropical Hell to Trendy Hot Spot for Westerners
- Cuba–Silicon Valley–Cuba: The Making of a Trojan Horse?
- “Guantánamo Is Not on the Table”: U.S. Arrogance
- U.S. Democracy Promotion in Cuba: As American as Apple Pie
- U.S. Immigration Policy: As American as the American Dream
- Cuban Participatory Democracy in 2016:
- Where Were the Obama Administration and the U.S. Media?
- The Communist Party as Leader vs. the People as Sovereign
- Political Prisoners in Cuba: The List
- Who Is Going to Win the Cultural War?
- The Blockade: From Obama to Trump
- The Blockade: What Is Brewing?
- The Blockade as Leverage
- The Blockade, Cigars and Rum: The Loopholes
- The Powerful Anti-Blockade Forces: What Will Trump Do?
- Concluding Remarks on the Blockade: “Hunger,” Privilege and Democracy Promotion
- Fidel and the U.S.-Led Cultural Blitzkrieg on “Dictatorship”
- What Is the Purpose?
- Is This What Dictatorship Looks Like?
- The Avatars
- Fidel’s Passing Has Vitalized the Revolution
- The Jury Is Still Out: What Will the Cuban People’s Verdict Be?
Available worldwide online and in bookstores